We’re going greener! Here at FREE NOW, we’re concentrating on a brighter future, a greener future, a future where all the vehicles on FREE NOW are 0 emissions capable.
Over the last few months, while the country has been moving slower, we’ve taken the time to better understand the wants and needs of your passengers and city: 60% said they would use the most sustainable option available to them on a ride-hailing app and we’ve seen the proof with more and more passengers choosing to book an electric vehicle first.
The government has put a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles from 2030 and the introduction of new green number plates to raise awareness of the growing numbers of cleaner vehicles on the road. We’re moving faster, FREE NOW is pledging to have 100% zero-emission capable vehicles on the app by 2025.
To reach this ambitious target, today we are declaring 6 key steps to how we will get there:
- We will invest over £20 million in supporting drivers to switch to electric vehicles.
- We will phase out vehicles from our app according to increasingly ambitious emission and age criteria, ahead of the regulatory requirements.
- We will partner with local authorities, regulators and the Government to improve EV infrastructure.
- We will invest over £10 million into passenger marketing & discounts to promote electric options.
- We will provide solutions that help businesses access greener travel now, and to reach their future sustainability goals.
- We will carbon offset all emissions from 2020 onwards, focussing on the preservation & regeneration of forests, including planting 20,000 trees in Europe.
What if I already have an electric vehicle?
As you've already got an electric vehicle, you don't need to do anything. Keep on doing what you're doing.
As the market picks up again from the current lockdown, you'll be first in line to benefit from our investments into passenger and B2B marketing.
What have electric vehicles achieved so far on FREE NOW?
- Together, electric vehicles have saved 4000 tonnes of CO2 (that’s the equivalent of planting 250k trees).
- Together, you’ve driven 23 million kilometres.
- You’ve had more job offers, lower costs (your average monthly saving is £440 thanks to reduced fuel, road tax and servicing savings) and higher tips all thanks to your cab.
I don’t have an EV Black Cab. What does this mean for me?
You can still take jobs as normal for the next couple of years. If your vehicle is older than 12 years old by 2023, you will need to upgrade to electric to continue taking jobs with FREE NOW. And before the end of 2024, all other non-electric black cabs will be removed from the platform.
I own an Old Black Cab. What does this mean for me?
You can still take jobs as normal for now but to continue driving with FREE NOW you must upgrade to an electric black cab before the end of 2022.
We know switching to a new electric vehicle is an expensive decision to make, that’s why we commit to helping you do so. We’ll stay in touch with the latest offers and support.
If you have further questions regarding the Green Charter, please contact our Driver Care Team directly. They'll be happy to help.