If you're seeing more than one FREE NOW entry on your bank statement relating to a recent trip, rest assured it's unlikely you've been double charged. Instead, one of the entries is likely to be a card pre-authorisation, which will be sitting as a pending transaction.
What is a card pre-authorisation?
- FREE NOW uses card pre-authorisation to ensure that the payment method is valid and that you have enough funds available to pay the trip fare.
- A pre-authorisation is a temporary hold of funds from your bank account, which is held at the time you order your trip.
- At the end of your trip, this pre-authorisation will be converted into the final charge.
Why are both the pre-authorisation and the final charge showing on my statement?
- Sometimes your bank statement isn’t updated immediately, meaning that you see both the pre-authorisation and the final charge on your statement.
- This will automatically correct itself.
- If you are still seeing both entries on your statement after 5 working days, we recommend you contact your bank.
You can find more on pre-authorisations, here.